What is OpenCv ?
It is a cross-platform library using which we can develop real-time computer vision applications. we can use this library for so many tasks which includes image processing, video capture and analysis including features like face detection and object detection.
So first let’s start with the word “Computer Vision”
Computer Vision can be defined as a discipline that explains how to reconstruct, interrupt, and understand a 3D scene from its 2D images
Computer vision is the construction of explicit, meaningful descriptions of 2D objects from their image. The output of computer vision is a description or an interpretation of structures in 3D scene.
Now let’s talk about little bit on history of OpenCv ::
OpenCV was initially an Intel research initiative to advise CPU-intensive applications. It was officially launched in 1999.
- In the year 2006, its first major version, OpenCV 1.0 was released.
- In October 2009, the second major version, OpenCV 2 was released.
- In August 2012, OpenCV was taken by a nonprofit organization OpenCV.org.
So as a programmer, I like Pycharm as IDE for related to ML and Python programs so now we’re gonna see the installation of OpenCv in this IDE.
Setup OpenCV With PyCharm Environment ::
PyCharm : PyCharm is a cross-platform IDE used in computer programming specifically for Python. The platform developed by JetBrains is mainly used in code analysis, graphical debugger etc.
Official Website : https://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/
Steps to import OpenCv on Pycharm ::
- Go to the terminal option at the bottom of the IDE window.
2. The pip command can also be used to download and install OpenCV. To install OpenCV, just type the following command:
- pip install opencv-python
3. Now simply import OpenCV in your python program in which you want to use image processing functions.
To check if OpenCV is correctly installed, just run the following program in PyCharm to perform a version check:
print(“Your OpenCV version is: “ + cv2.__version__)
So Yay ! You are good to go with OpenCv on PyCharm IDE.